View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 00:41   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Thx. I'll do that to see if it stays off. I "know" what prompted it in the first place. I washed the engine bay because I wanted to slean it a bit before I removed the PCV to clean it. Water must have creeped into the plugs or distributor or whatever. Car never stopped, but was idling poorly afterwards (yesterday). Today it runs better but not quite there. I wanted to read the codes before starting to find out on my own what's wrong. But it won't be that easy I guess.
See how it goes tomorrow after pulling and refitting the fuse. The problem with reading codes after getting the HT leads damp is you will read codes generated by the ECU that doesn't know what a wet plug lead is, just sees things not happening as they should.

For example, a blocked fuel filter can trigger a MAF code to be generated, as can running out of petrol because the ECU always assumes perfect conditions. It's not intelligent enough to realise the car is out of fuel and as a result there is no fuel to give the required engine speed increase the ECU has called for so it assumes the MAF isn't reading the increased airflow demands made by the EICV opening when the ECU tells it to.

Just one example of a red herring!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: