View Single Post
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 16:56   #11
john h
VOC Member

Hi, a little more to report

I fitted the new master cylinder with new seals, and replaced the original reservoir, cleaned thoroughly

The mounts for the air filter box had become bent over time, so I made a simple tool to allow me to press them back to the right shape in the vice without crushing the lip around the edge

I am fitting period Volvo accessory wheels, made by ATS. They've been refurbished by the company Ste work for; I'm pleased with the result. (I have the correct centres on order from VP in Sweden)

Modeled on James's 164!

I wanted to stay with 165/80 tyres. Various reasons, but I wanted Olga to have nice steering feel - and the 'tall and spindly' look which always makes me smile when I'm driving in convoy with with Ste's 164.

Also, my partner (not a car person at all) has shown more interest than usual in this one, so I want him to be able to drive Olga without being put off by super heavy steering.

I researched what's available in 165/80 15 - obviously much less choice than with with modern sizes. The vintage pattern Michelins and Pirellis are nice, but hugely expensive. I was leaning towards Continental, when I found these Vredestein T-trac 2. The size, speed and load ratings are right, and they have a B grade in the wet grip testing - much better than any other 165/80 15 I could find available. (I find that most reputable tyres can do a reasonable job in the dry; it's wet grip where the big differences between good tyres and rubbish show up).

I'm also encouraged by their fairly poor economy rating, which in my experience tends to mean a softer, gripper compound. Price was reasonable at £43 each. I'll see how they perform and report back.

More updates soon

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post: