View Single Post
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 23:38   #6
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Did someone mention my name? Getting quite a reputation here....

The problem is that building a bmw on a budget is easy as there are loads of aftermarket upgrades available that are stupidly cheap and quite often second hand so even cheaper. on a volvo that isn't the case.

Right, if you're on a budget you want to make sure the droplinks are all good, top mounts ok and bushes not worn out. If that's the case then it's just about making it handle better.

Front upper strutbrace and if you don't have one fitted, get a T4 lower front brace. I can't remember if they are standard on all cars or just the T4 but every little helps. You've ruled out the rear brace which is understandable if you're sleeping in it.

You already mentioned some wheels and good tyres. That's a very worthy addition.

After that you need some decent springs to reduce body roll and understeer in the corners. A set of H&R springs will do the job and they are comfortable enough for daily use. Stock sport springs won't be up to the job but they are better than the wobbly comfort springs.

After that you're pretty stuck without spending money you don't want to. Polybushes is an option but one that's still relatively unexplored as you have to use Mitsubishi Evo ones and it's trying to work out which ones will do the job.

A good alignment will help. I wouldn't bother with setting negative camber in but if you insist, a touch more than stock on the front will help with turn in and front end grip.

If you really want to go the extra mile, get a thicker rear anti roll bar. It'll really improve turn in and stop the rear of the csr lumbering about behind you so much. It'll follow nicely on corners. Best upgrade I ever did on my T4 was the whiteline rear anti roll bar but a ebay upgrade one will do the same job.

The best thing to do is learn the track as much as you can. Obviously you'll not learn it all but play some gran tourismo and learn the basic layout so you can anticipate the next corner.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post: