View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 06:41   #263
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problemchild1976 View Post
So been having a few “overheating” issues in this warm weather - normally after a short run (normal temps) then a pootle back and it goes up close to the red

mix this with my 20mpg - I think I’m running rich or the timing is out

Can’t get the dizzy to move atm as it’s corroded to the block so putting some penetrating fluid on it from time to time.

But when I am flooring it on the dual carriageway it’s perfectly normal

And this Evening only rose a little once I came off the 70mph into the side roads

Thoughts?

JJ
I'd suggest the first thing to do would be to establish whether the engine is really running hot, or whether the gauge is reading high. The easiest way to check is with an IR thermometer like this:

... they aren't expensive (maybe £20) and are useful for lots of other things. Point it at the thermostat housing when the engine is hot - it should be 90c or there about. It is always a good idea to make sure one is fixing the right problem :-).

Then then check the potential difference at the instruments - it should be 10v. If the motor car isn't running hot (unlikely if the fan isn't coming on) then perhaps the gauge is heading high (does the fuel gauge read high at the same time?) - the culprit may well be the 10v voltage stabiliser in the instrument binnacle. I replaced the the very quaint mechanical type device in mine:

... (although yours is a later motor car and may have something more modern) with a solid state stabiliser (cost about a tenner and a really easy job:

That solved the issue completely.

If that isn't the problem we can start looking for real overheating problems elsewhere (but you seem to have already fixed all the likely culprits already).

I wouldn't have thought running hot (if it is) would lead to high fuel consumption (probably the opposite). That needs a bit more investigation. Start off by making sure the basic things are right, so check the compression across the cylinders (easy and cheap to do) and the ignition timing. You said your distributor had seized (common problem) but you can still check it with a strobe - if it is incorrect we can start thinking of ways to get it moving.

Another lovely day in paradise.

Alan

PS. You may need a 'Special Volvo B21a Distributor Adjuster' like this one to free it (after a few more doses of DP90):

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1388

Last edited by Othen; Aug 4th, 2022 at 07:38.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote