View Single Post
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 14:28   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritch View Post
We shortly celebrated ticking over 200k in our 06 D5 equipped V70. It has unfortunately developed a worrying fault!

I noticed a thick sludge of engine oil on the top of the expansion tank which all posts seem to have led to the oil/water heat exchanger being the culprit! I’ve swapped that out and am currently running a dishwasher tablet flush through.

I’m on my second proper flush but when I top off with clean water it quickly gets an oily slick in the expansion tank again.

How many times should it need flushing like this? The majority of the coolant that came out was a lovely newish colour and the T stat housing was 100% clear of oil.

If i’m unlucky and it isn’t the oil cooler, is it then only the HG left as possible culprit?

Cheers
The oil has seeped into all the rubber hoses long before you discovered it . The only safe way of preventing this and other hoses hose blowing one after the other just when you have forgotten all about it is to replace every rubber hose in the system . not far off £ 500 last time I did one about 10 years ago .

The D5 headgaskes cant blow unless you have seriously overheated it and warped the head .... they are multi layer stainless steel sheets ..hence their cost