View Single Post
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 22:26   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin calva View Post
I am in the process of replacing the front discs on my 1994 diesel 940. (After a couple of years of use they produce vibrations when braking hard - I don't know why that should be.)

I normally replace the bolts for mounting the brake caliper brackets. Haynes says new bolts must be used. But somehow I have managed to lose one of the four new bolts I bought in preparation for this job.

Searching on the internet, there seem to be plenty of people who say it is not necessary to use new bolts but plenty of others who say that new bolts should always be used.

Can I confidently go ahead and replace the disks using my remaining three new bolts and one of the old bolts? Or should I order a new bolt from Skandix, pay their shipping charge, put the wheels back on and postpone changing the disks until I have four new bolts.?

Thank you for any advice.
Martin
The main reason for renewal is that the orignal bolts are what's known as "Patch bolts". In short, they are coated with thread locking compound that is activated when they are screwed into place.

You can clean the old compound off the old bolts and use something like Loctite 243 when refitting them.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: