View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 17:10   #11
MikeS100
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
That is normal!!

If it was a very long stretch like down the M20 hill at Wrotham Hill, Kent it will drop as mine does.

When you have no throttle the ECU cuts off the fuel so therefore you have NO combustion happening to heat up the coolant and so it gets colder and the needle will drop.......Simples.

The same thing happens in Winter with a cold headwind into the radiator the engine coolant system cannot overcome the extreme cold air so it runs cooler and the needle will be lower. If you then turn around and have a cold tail wind the needle will read normal in the middle as the cold wind is now behind you.

Remember old school motors with radiator blinds?
I go down down the A20 version of Wrotham Hill on my way to work, but unfortunately it's not something as simple as that. I seem to have made matters worse as the needle hardly moved on my way to work this morning. I'm now convinced the thermostat has dislodged in the housing so I will attempt to get it all off over the weekend and refit it properly, like I should have done yesterday!

On a side note though, after I had replaced the thermostat on my old car (Mondel TDCi) the needle would stay in the centre even when going down the M20 Wrotham Hill during the winter and fuel flow dropping to zero. The TDCi Mondeo's are notoriously difficult to keep warm so if that can do it I would hope a petrol Volvo would stay warm. If it cannot maintain a normal operating temperature once this is all sorted out I will be disappointed.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote