View Single Post
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 12:39   #25
Andypa

Default ETM and BBA Final Summary

Just to close this off, my car is now fixed.

It has cost me aound £1000 including diagnostics, fault tracing, part of the wiring loom replaced due to being partially chaffed through and throttle pedal replaced due to faulty sensor (both replaced with second hand parts) and the cost of a new ETM from Volvo as it turns out that it was a mechanical fault, the butterfly valve was sticking oopen at 17º sending the car into limp home mode.

This is something to note if you get this problem, as most of the information relating to this suggets that the ETM's are sound mechanically but the electrics (sensor) are of a flawed design. But both me and 'Katana Man' have experienced mechanical failures recently. BEWARE before you dive in and have the sensors replaced.

Therin lies the second issue, BBA sensor re-furbs. I was without a car for 3 weeks while thay had my ETM, the first thing they purport to do is bench test them!? i.e they should have found that the 'electrical' re-furb was needless. To paint the whole picture, I have just received a full refund from them. So I would say that thet are not rip off merchants or anything like that, but are a touch incompetent, I never did get accurate/honest information regarding when I would get the ETM back. So personally, I would never use them again for anything that I needed quickly or meant my car being off the road.

Also please heed the other warning about the mechanical failure of ETM's
Andypa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andypa For This Useful Post: