View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2021, 21:10   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew164 View Post
What sort of fluid should I use to top up BW35 gearbox in my 164, handbook says Type F but my local motor factor doesn't know what that is, handbook also says Dexron can be used but I have read that that doesn't do the seals any good
Fixed the brand name for you!

You can use Dexron II-D or if you want a better fluid, Carlube ATF-U and do a part-change by either removing the drain plug from the gearbox sump and letting the sump contents drain out, refitting the sump and then bringing up to the correct level with new fluid.

Assuming you do a few hundred miles each month, do 3-4 part-changes about a month apart until the fluid stays clean between changes then do one a year to maintain it.

The original "Type F" was Fords answer to GMs "Type G" that was later rebranded Dexron (no "t" in it! ) and later still, Type F and Type G fluids were gradually replaced with Dexron and then Dexron II-D.

The Carlube ATF-U is compatible with and IMHO better than all the Dexron fluids that would be recommended for your box and is what i run in my AW-70 box in my 760 as it also meets JWS3309 which is what Toyota/Lexus specify for the A340 box in the LS400 - Toyota own (or at least part own, fairly sure they own outright) Aisin-Warner which is what Borg-Warner became. The A340 box is near identical to the AW-70 box in my 760 and very similar to your BW35 but newer, (probably) lighter, handles more power and has 4 speeds rather than 3 and generally a bit more efficient - all down to improved technology over the years.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: