View Single Post
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 16:22   #7
Distendo

Thanks for the contributions there, chaps.

Would like to point out that the otherwise the car starts and runs really well. I did a cylinder head job on it, completed late last year (burnt-out exhaust valve, resulting in replacing all exhaust valves), so I had a chance to inspect the throttle body etc. Could see no carbon deposits or general muck. I replaced the PCV. (All emissions are now spot on, and mpg is up by at least 25%).

I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor (thanks, Luxobarge), using a decent non-Volvo part (I gave up waiting for an original from Volvo), and can't recall any other Engine Temperature Sensor (thanks, ITSv40), but would be glad to be enlightened as to where, exactly, that may be located. The dash temperature dial shows running temp exactly normal.

I had wondered about some sort of idle control, so Baffler's Idle Air Control Valve sounds interesting. My initial search for more info indicates that (of course) the throttle kit changed in '99 (mine's a '98), and as I reply, I haven't yet found a good description of such on a '98 V70 T5.

Baffler - I've only finally (crossed fingers) got the air-con working in the last fortnight, and had observed this glitch occurring before that, but we've certainly got the weather right now to test whether having it on makes a difference! The last time the engine conked out when moving, I was doing a slow-speed turn, with the air-con on...

It does appear to cut out when moving at average speeds, but picks up again without intervention.

The only other immediate process I have in mind is to use contact cleaner spray on all the engine management connectors I can find.

Anyway, if anyone can link to (or has) a picture of where the Idle Air Control Valve actually is on a '98 V70 T5 (or the 'non-coolant' Engine Temperature Sensor), I'd be pleased to see it.

Thanks for taking an interest!