View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 17:34   #47
Foringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
I believe that this is not as big a worry as people suggest. Replacing a small proportion of the oil (up to about 3%) with diesel as Volvo suggest as an interim solution is not outrageous in my opinion. In any case, they will probably come up with a better solution in due course. In my case the software seems to have "fixed" the rising oil level problem.

Diesel has some lubricating properties similar to WD40. Diesel engines have always had some blow-by that contaminates the oil with diesel. Despite this diesel engines have traditionally had a life expectancy much better than petrol engines. Petrol engines have blow-by that contaminated the oil with petrol, that has no lubricating properties whatsoever.

Who intends to drive their diesel XC60 for more than 400,000 miles?
It may or may not affect the long term reliability of the engine but I paid for a sumpful of expensive engine oil with the car and not a adulterated mix whatever the ratio might actually be. My view is that Volvo should fix the problem and reinstate the oil back to its original spec & why on earth shouldn't they? I'm not so worried about the engine itself although this is still an unknown but this car has two turbos and I would prefer them to be lubricated with the proper stuff.
Foringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foringo For This Useful Post: