View Single Post
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 16:18   #3
142 Guy
Master Member

First off, you never specified how far "way, way out" is. You also never specified whether way way out is advanced or retarded.

Second, what type of timing light do you have? Is it a fixed inductive pick up style or does it have the feature which allows you to enter an advance setting? If it is the latter, is there a chance that a timing offset has been entered into the timing light (I like the simple fixed style)? Finally, the inductive pick up should have an arrow on it indicating the correct direction for clamping on to the spark plug wire. Getting the arrow backwards can result in a timing offset or intermittent operation which will make accurate timing impossible.

I don't have a service manual for what is presumably a non USA B30A so I don't know the advance curves. How much mechanical advance is the advance mechanism supposed to provide at 800 RPM? I am not sure what "both" means when you say "Vacuum advances both off." ; but, I presume that means that you have clamped off the vacuum line to the distributor so that the vacuum servo on the distributor has no effect when using the timing light?

The points gap (which is the only thing that can affect dwell) should be set before you set the static ignition timing. If you set the static timing first then adjust the gap it will alter the static timing.

Finally, if the timing is showing up as retarded, it is possible that your timing light has / is failing and is triggering late. That is a separate issue from incorrect offset in the timing light (if it has that feature) or incorrect orientation of the inductive pick up. That is why guidance on whether the timing is way out advanced versus retarded along with the amount is important.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: