View Single Post
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 08:30   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply xc90mk1, that actually really helps.... Perhaps I should just keep driving my disco3! Haha...

So it sounds like selekt is the way to go, and i doubt arnoldclark, even though they are the main dealer in Aberdeen, wont be able to offer the same cover as buying selekt.

I suppose there’s risk in everything, it’s just how you weigh it and how risk averse you are... yes the T8 is a complicated machine... but so are most new cars, and a large bill can happen on any of them... engine failure etc...

How many T8’s have had to have an engine replacement? And why?
What are the big failures on these T8’s... only thing ive read about is the ERAD, and some have had to pay half and some, with third party warranties has had it covered completely....

Clutches can start to go any time, so I’d say thats wear and tear anyway.... and if discs and pads fail, well then thats those items and not the ‘lemon’.

I’m definitely wanting to go in to T8 ownership with my eyes open and want to be aware of potential pitfalls...so feedback on major failures is helpful, as is warranty issues...

Thanks for the help....it does honestly help.
I have bought used before however the one time I had a problem it was an absolute nightmare getting warrenty work done. Every trick in the book was done.

When I bought mine through Volvo (I was lucky they had my colour) I negotiated a really really good price and I was very happy. It was as cheap as an independant.

They said that it would go through the workshop before collection and to my supprise they said the front rotors and pads were low so they replaced them. They also fitted a new indicator assembly in the wing mirror as the old one was found to be faulty (I had not noticed either of these despite being a very competent home mechanic). It had a full Volvo service as they said it only had a few weeks left and came with the year Volvo breakdown cover.

I drove it off the forecourt and it had the only problem I have ever had which was the Haldex control module. Emailed dealer who responded to say bring it back, apologised and said that whatever was required would be completed. They reset it (didn’t work) and then replaced the DEM module without question.

I should image those works would cost me £1,500 at least and I should imagine that it would be an absolute bightmare to get from a third party...

To be fair to Volvo, whilst I don’t rate the dealership (since the day I bought it I have always serviced it myself including cam belt etc) they did stand behind their product 100%.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: