View Single Post
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 22:32   #48
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Ah, so now I understand why Dave was suggesting saloons - I had no idea X300 XJs were so cheap (I'm guessing it would have been on the list?). Many years ago I put a deposit on an XJR only to find it wouldn't fit my parking space. I'm 51, so it's probably time I scratched that particular itch (not an XJR, a 3.2 Sov will do the job...). Relatively cheap to tax, reputation for being reliable, plenty of experienced independent mechanics around, plenty of parts about.
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of a well sorted 240 or 940 saloon but a good one is 3x-4x the price of an XJ!
There are many reasons the X300 is cheap - if it has the 5-speed auto, they're prone to gearbox failure or to be more exact, an electronic module that is buried under all the fluid fails because of a couple of cheap O ring type seals on it that fail. Then the electronics inside get drowned in ATF and die.
New module with new seals, new fluid (you may as well as the sump pan is off), filters, general service/check over and it's usually all good again.

Also the engines have a bad reputation for piston/liner failure because of the Nikersil plating on the liners "picking up" on the pistons.

You'd be better off with a 3.6 or 4.0 XJ40 if you want to scratch that big Jag itch, go and see Sean at S&C Motors in Bursledon if you want a Jag. Also for servicing/repairs.

https://www.sandcmotors.co.uk/

Very knowledgeable and won't rip you off either!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: