View Single Post
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 19:00   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Well, sad news I'm afraid.

Well and truly had it, looks like it's been severely mistreated in previous ownership. Virtually all the coolant pathways in the head are completely corroded and blocked, as are many of the ones in the block. And the block face is heavily pitted. New head and block facing at a minimum plus there's no guarantee this isn't more damage we can't see. Mechanic said best thing was to pull the plug, particularly as she owes me so little. He was amazed that it wasn't overheating in that condition because all the pathways at the front of the engine were completely blocked

Not sure on next steps - partially dismantled so not driveable but a good source of parts. I don't have the space/time to break her and it's a shame to send her to a standard scrappy. I've got till the end of the month to get her off the road. I'm just south of Salisbury.

'93 940 2 litre SE, 7-seater, blue. Other than the dead engine she's in reasonable nick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Knowing the engine code of old knackered engine would help forum users to advise which used engines would be an easy swap, possibly have one too. The engine code is on the cam cover. Probably only needs a used head.

James.
Needs more than a head James! ^^^^^ Highlighted the relevant pits in that post from the first (second?) page.

Originally was a B200F, a B230 block would work well, all just as easy as long as the OP doesn't want to go turbo!

Only thing that might be needed would be a crank spigot bearing depending whether he has an auto or not and whether the donor engine is auto or not.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: