View Single Post
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 06:44   #8
oragex
Premier Member

19mpg is on the high side. Urban driving with short distances between stops gets about the worst mpg. I still find it on the high side. When I got my 2.4 na automatic I was getting around 15 mpg mostly busy city driving. I'm now rather close to 23 mpg in summer time. When you drive on motorway at 60mph, how does the power feel in the 5th gear (without downshifting) ? When my car had bad mpg, the 5th at 60mph felt like it was completely gutless, that was an indicator something wasn't right. I did a lot of maintenance so not sure which helped the most. PCV, injector cleaning with ultrasound, fixed the intake air thermostat, 4 prong spark plugs, NGK front oxygen sensor, transmission fluid. I also tried cleaning the piston rings believing they may get stuck when the PCV is old and neglected, from sludge build up on the ring lands. When I first got the car the engine would scream a lot when revving to 3000 rpm, now it's much smoother and quieter. On 2001-2004 the SMI steering rack may also get clogged and cause engine power loss and heavy dull steering feeling