View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 03:07   #7
JGEM

Default AC whine

My May 2009 build XC60 D5 has had an AC whine for 8 years now. The compressor failed a couple of years ago (bearing failure) and I had high hopes that the new compressor would cure the whine, but unfortunately it reappeared.

I asked the local Volvo dealer about the applicability of this product bulletin to my car but they said it was not applicable.

The technical journal says it is applicable to the US / Canada market and for cars from 2012 model year on, but goes on to mention 5 cylinder engines. As far as I'm aware Volvo has never sold XC60 5 cylinder variants in the US (and definitely no 5 cylinder diesels). i had a search for the part 31436536 recommended for the 5 cylinder engine and it seems to be for the 5 cylinder petrol engine when I look at US parts sites.

I wonder how much difference there is between AC systems for petrol engine versus diesel? I suspect that the bulletin may well be applicable to my car but given it's now a 13 years old high mileage car and has a few bumps and scratches I've given up on the search for perfection. I have found that when the whining starts if I cycle the AC on and off it generally goes away for a while, so I've learned to live with it.
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote