View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2021, 09:32   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconkev View Post

I've been looking at servicing the Haldex, changing the oil / filter whilst the DEM is gone but its the 3rd gen and look like an absolute nightmare
Consider :

As you are going to loose the haldex oil when you remove the DEM unit, why not remove the oil 1st. If the oil is relatively clean, you can assume the filter will be no dirtier, and may consider just replacing the oil when you replace the DEM. If the oil is minging ( and you'll know if it is - I've read reports of clean oil to almost a semi sludge removed. Mine was very bad, but I blew air through my removal tube to disturb floor lying sediment and get it out of the haldex) then you may need to revisit the question of filter replacement.
The nightmare is not the removal of the dem or filter bolts as IIRC it can be done without removing exhaust/prop, but what happens if you SNAP one of the dem/filter bolts - that the NIGHTMARE !!!! esp the filter ones.
Use a good quality 1/4" socket set, and consider cutting down the hex keys that fit the bolts to give more access. - Thats how I got access to my filter ( haldex 2) , but the filter bolts did not what to come and I did not want to risk snapping them. Steel bolts into aluminium castings never easy to remove.

Cheers
Bob

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote