View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:47   #2
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I have a 1998 C70 2.3 T5, 4 speed auto.

I was changing some of the vacuum pipes when I noticed that I could rock the engine a little more than usual and I was getting a grinding / metal on metal sound.

I have already replaced both the bulkhead / upper mount and the one next to the crank pulley. The transmission mount looks ok, it sounds like the noise is coming from elsewhere.

I'd like to know whether this age / spec of car is likely to have the round fluid filled pillow mounts, as I know they are not on all cars.

I'm also looking for a guide to replacing them. As it stands I can't even see where they might be so I assume this is going to be a bit of a pig to do?
Recently replaced all engine mounts on both my 1994 T5-R auto and stepsons 1998 2WD V70R. Both use the same mounts all round. Yes they have the round mounts. They are a bit of a pig to do and obviously you can only really get to them from underneath. Before you change them, give the nuts a repeated good soaking over a couple of days with penetrating oil - that will definitely help as access to a couple of the nuts is such that it's a case of patience and undoing them one flat at a time.
Note, although they look similar, the front and rear mounts are slightly different so make sure you install them correctly.

You say you've changed the bulkhead and upper mount. Check that the replacement bush that is a press fit into the mounting plate on the engine is very tightly fitting. Some numpty that had fitted the useless powerflex bushes in my T5-R (they are a waste of space and noisy) had torqued them so tight it stretched the metal of the bush housing and the replacement was ratting around. The only cure was a replacement plate from Skandix.

Your transmission torque mount may look ok but I'll guarantee it isn't so change that too. All parts are available from PFV and won't break the bank. Don't be tempted to buy the genuine Volvo transmission torque mount as its twice the price and PFS inform me that their cheaper version comes from the same source.

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post: