View Single Post
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 18:22   #16
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

For your amusement, the last time I took my car to a main dealer for diagnostics they said, and I quote, "you probably don't want us to fix this...". Given that they were quoting towards £2000 for the high pressure diesel pump which Bosch (the OE) will supply for £600, and that the HP pump was the tip of the iceberg, they were probably right! I appreciated their honesty, actually, and found the service to be highly professional. I duly fixed it myself. I had mentioned to them that I have a 2-post ramp, so possibly not their typical customer...

Regarding the swirl flap fix, I can probably explain that one. Volvo won't re-use the (very expensive - circa £500 for both sets, IIRC) high pressure fuel pipes, which have to be removed in order to replace the swirl flap rod (i.e. the part with the flaps themselves on). In fairness, the seats on the pipes can be damaged to the point that they leak (and cannot be made to seal), but for my money the sensible approach is to replace them if you can't get them to seal, not every time. I get why they do it (same reason they won't re-shim a AC compressor clutch or de-carbon a turbo turbine housing), but it seems wasteful (not least of the customer's money) to me.

Oh...and the reason I'm here....everyone keep it cordial, please. No need for any unnecessary antagonising, on either side.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote