View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2022, 11:13   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
I've just found out that the 740 I bought has got a replacement engine. Looking at the timing cover, it days it is a B230E. It seems that the previous owner blew up the original engine, and this was fitted as a replacement. He states that it is a 2.8 litre, but google says it is a 2.3 litre.. Although it is apparently an older engine, it seems to go well, and apart from some minor problems, I'm pleased with it. I still want to turn the vehicle into an offgrid weekend camper.

Now I have a problem with getting parts for it. The new engine hasn't been registered with the DVLA, and I guess I will have to do that. I also suspect that it may affect my insurance when I notify them. It looks as if the engine was installed in various models for a few years, and thus there may be a few variants, is this true?
There seems to be some confusion here, 'Offgrid'. The 2.8 and the 2.3 are quite different engines and one is not a straight replacement for the other.

The 2.8 is a V6, fitted to the 760, and the 2.3 an inline 4. The B230 is definitely a 2.3 (2316cc), the 'E' indicating that it is a N/A fuel injected unit (ET would be a turbo and K a carburettor fed engine).

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, John.