View Single Post
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 14:10   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvolvo View Post
Really is this perhaps because of what im saying?

Do people modify the airboxes to increase intake? I have heard there is a sneaky cold air feed on the wing behind it.
Oiled air filters aren't really the way to go unless you're planning on something like a K&N replacement panel filter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392259052853

That may or may not be the right one for your car, there are two different sizes available, that one fits my 760 which i think uses the same size as 940T models.

The cold air feed is there to be used in conjunction with the hot air feed from the exhaust manifold and is designed to give a constant air intake temperature. However the wax-stat that operates the diverter valve in the air intake usually fails in the hot position so you end up drawing in very hot air. There is a thread somewhere about these with some instructions about renewing the wax-stat but they're not cheap, they're fiddly to change and will eventually fail again. If i remember the name of the thread i'll find it and post a link.
I do know that the hot air feed from the exhaust carries a lot of airborne dirt/oil from the engine bay, hot air is moister than cold air so transmits the dirt more easily. It was turning my air filter black within a few months so i removed the hot air feed from the exhaust as it was also causing flooding and overheating of the fuel rails and inlet manifold.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: