View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:12   #108
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Sandwich View Post
Like Paddyzulu, above, I’m in the market, too.

Having recently handed over a cosmetically wounded “Jam Sandwich” ( ex Police V70 D5 with Polestar upgrade) to the hands of the ‘car Charon’, to be transported to the Great Car-park in the sky, I’ve been looking for a 2nd hand V90.
We've considered full EVs from other manufacturers and we’ve been considering hybrids with V90 T6 or T8 marginally ahead of MB E300de wagon.
Having read this thread though, I think I’m going to look for a D5 and do more research on whether MB has suffered similar issues with their ERAD.

Just wondering, though; does the V90 suffer this issue as much as the XC90?

The XC is about 300kg heavier than the V which is only about 15%. Which doesn’t seem enough to suggest a significant difference.

Thanks to Philip Fisher (the OP) and everyone else who’s contributed to this thread. Very useful to be fore warned.
Just for info, MB do not operate an ERAD (Electronic Rear Axle Drive) on their Hybrids, they operate the more conventional electric motor driving the vehicles gearbox rather than a completely separate electric drive unit as Volvo use (MB: ICE and elec feed the AWD gearbox, Volvo: ICE on Front Axle/Elec on rear Axle).

Also for info, the later ERAD's on MY22.5 (extended Range) and later appear to be much more reliable than the earlier ERADs as I have only seen 1 or 2 mentions of any issues on the later cars with no full failures that I have seen or heard of yet.

I am on my second XC60 T8 currently (MY20 and now MY22.5) and have not had any issues with either of my 2 cars but owned both from new, swapped to current one after 2 and a bit years and not done over 22k miles in either as yet so its a little difficult to judge just yet as the main issues seem to appear in the cars later life.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote