Thread: alloys 740 gl
View Single Post
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 14:49   #42
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Ian2000t.
You seem to enjoy the"jousting"that you're seemingly criticising, and you consider yourself knowledgeable with reagrd to"handling": given your experience with a Volvo 740, a Triumph 2000 and a Maestro.
I was trying to calm things down as this thread about wheels had started to get out of hand - and has again thanks to YOU.
My opinion, for what it is worth, having owned the following(not in date order) - BMW 2002tii, Sierra RS Cosworth*, Audi UR Quattro*, Volkswagen Golf*(supercharged), Triumph TR6(2.7 Racetorations modified) - is based on having a little experience in the handling of various cars having spent time and money making mistakes when trying to improve things. That experience has also been enhanced by my Father, who over many years(60s,70s and more recently)spent sums of money improving cars: a Downton tuned MGBGT, a Blydenstein tuned original Opel Manta SR, Triumph 2000 MK2 Stag engined(all my Mothers), as well as owning exotics like a Jensen Interceptor(in the 70s)and Maserati Quattroporte(in the 60s).
The discussion about alloys and 740s came about because I'd mentioned that I felt a 740 with 14s could be improved simply(and at modest cost)by replacing the 14s with OEM 15s - improvement in the sense that the car would probably ride a little better and roll a little less due to the widening of the track-admittedly by an inch.
I recall when I had a 1986 BMW E23 728 daily driver back in 1994, I changed the standard fit 14s for OEM 15s and both ride and handling were improved: both sizes of wheel were incidentally fitted with the same tyre(Uniroyals).
The 740 is, as far as it's suspension is concerned is fairly crude, and on most owner's cars, pretty tired; as bushes, dampers roll bars etc would not be high on the list for replacement. Any discussion about handling on these cars is in absolute terms a little"academic". I have recently fitted a set of OEM 15x6 contemporary alloys on my 1986 744 2.3 and it has improved both ride and handling- however this car has only done 60k from new.
And of course good quality tyres will improve handling.
Read Gordon Murray on handling; assuming you know who he is, and look at any of the work by that English enginnering genius Colin Chapman.
I'm now getting down(off my soapbox)in the hope that the bickering might end...oh, there goes a flock of flying pigs.
Prufrock.
*owned new

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 19th, 2011 at 14:55.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote