View Single Post
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 16:44   #21
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
Sounds as if my idea of forgetting about liner, and just varnishing the backboard is going to be the easiest solution.
You are underestimating the amount of sanding you would have to do to remove the glue in order to varnish it. One thing is to remove 90% of the old glue to put new glue. Another is to remove the last 10% in order to varnish.
Even if you had to break it or cut it in half to take it out, re-upwolstering would be much better. It doesn't cost you much in materials and, besides the apparent issues with taking it out of the salloon in one piece, it is a very easy job. 2 Rattle cans of glue and a bit of fabric of your choice, is all it takes. Cost me like 50€ to do the Polo, but I overpaid on the glue.

If you have to vut it out, cut it in the area of the pillars so the area of the cut will be nicely supported. A single layer you fiberglass mesh with a bit of epoxy is all you need. It's a 48h job, just because it needs to dry. 15mins of actual work time and 1/10 in difficuty. a 10€ epoxy and fiberglass kit with be more than enough for this.

EDIT: Not even considering you would be sanding this glue upside down inside the car. What a nightmare.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 16th, 2024 at 16:46.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote