View Single Post
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 11:22   #29
Juular

Go for it. The skills and confidence earned will be more than worth it.

It will cost more in time and money than you plan for, and what the car is worth. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I restored mine with a similar mission - to learn how to weld and repair almost anything on a car. I hadn't even driven a 240 before when I bought it, I just liked the shape.

I also have a desk job, in IT, and suffer serious mental health issues because of it, but the 240 project really helped me get things back in order and have something to look forward to. I owe the project more than it owes me.

You will end up learning about more than just welding and fabrication, as I'll bet there's a fair amount of electrical parts needing stripped and rebuilt. I found all of it interesting and educational.

I bought mine for £500 with similar rust issues and I needed to replace almost everything in terms of suspension and engine consumables. I could have done it cheaper but I reckon I spent around a year of work and £2000 or so restoring my 240 to an MOT standard. Nothing in itself was particularly expensive as parts are cheap and easy to get, on the whole. Some unexpected faulty parts stung though. The key is that many expensive components can be stripped and rebuilt for next to nothing if you're prepared to get stuck in.

I love my 240, it's an absolutely cracking car. The best part is driving in a car you can honestly say you've "sorted" inside and out and you know every nut and bolt.

Don't let the windscreen rust bother you, especially if you have a replacement scuttle. I had to fabricate one out of thin air and honestly found it an enjoyable challenge. Do prepare for a replacement windscreen though as it WILL crack when removed.

If you go ahead, keep in touch and ask lots of questions. I'm sure we've developed a pretty good resource on this forum for answers to common questions and what kind of things to look out for.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: