View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:24   #21
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - thanks for mentioning me Mitch. I'm not usually on the "For Sale" thread, but happened to have a look tonight.

The way I did mine was to start with the late-model grills from a 68+ (I think). I ground-off all the thin strips with a die-grinder, just leaving the surround and the one wider strip that runs across the middle. If you look closely you can tell they have been altered, but it is pretty clean. Then I just picked some metal mesh I liked for the backing and had it cut to shape. All is attached via the screws in the centre. I painted the mesh with a grey (not silver) as that was what I had, and I like it that way. After a year and 20,000 miles they are starting to show their age, so I'll have them powder-coated. Personally, I don't usually love the old-style, but didn't like the newer ones either, so that's why I did what I did.

I also removed the lettering on the hood, and welded-up the holes - personal preference again.

And I don't know if I have admitted this on the forum or not, but I eventually put blue LED's behind the grill - I had an extra wire, and found lights which match the car. I can post a photo is someone would like to see what it looks like. Personally, I think I got away with it aesthetically, but wouldn't expect everyone to agree.