View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 13:02   #193
CosmicBike

A fun filled few hours this morning, playing with tailgate hinges and wiring. Only 2 wires intact through the hinge on the drivers side with the remaining pair cracked, so new 4 wire loom made up and soldered in. The hinge itself was broken along it's length, and the sticky outy bit that goes into the tailgate was broken off. Suitably fixed, that side of the tailgate now lines up with the body.

The passenger side had seen some loom 'repairs' external to the hinge. Again, pulled the lot out, new loom, hinge broken along the length again (held together with gaffer tape...). New hinge, aligned, all very nice.

White grease and silicone spray applied to the gas struts and ball mounts to stop the squeaking, striker plate adjusted.

I now have a non-squeaky, nice fitting tailgate. And the central locking now works on it!

Getting there, rear light clusters next, and that tiny little spring in the door lock that stops the knob dropping just enough to lock you out. A whopping 0.78 Euros from Skandix, but £22 post. Looking around I thing the ones from a Merc are the same, and £2.99 on ebay. Seems expensive for a spring, maybe I'll make one....
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post: