View Single Post
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 12:32   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Many thanks Phil & Dave,

Sorry Phil I should have realised you couldn’t PM me, I had exactly the same issue when I joined a couple of months ago.

I feel a bit of an eijit asking so many questions, although I must say the responses from everyone have been so very helpful. I dare say you’ll soon get your posts up to enable PM in future.

My mad thought soon disappeared when I saw a $30 p&p, can’t really believe I admitted to considering a hodge using hot glue😀

Many thanks for your offer, but don’t think I’ll need those thank you, I have 2 spare ISO connecting blocks from the harness that doesn’t fit, have the one I took a punt on from eBay coming end of the week, so fingers crossed I will be able to get something from all this.

If that all fails, I will just get 2 new pairs of male and female 10 & 14 way connectors from a UK supplier and effectively put new connectors on car harness and head unit leads.

Thank god I have a bit of cable to play with, as I think Dave had one where the car harness had been chopped!!

Anyway, once again thanks to one and all.

Cheers
Steve
You're only an eejit if you DON'T ask those questions Steve! Seriously, if you need to know something, chances are someone else does (or has or will in the future) and you will either get an answer from someone who has or prompt someone to find out and whichever way it is, the answer is here for the future.

If you're going to buy some generic plugs to connect to the Volvo loom and then fit the ISO plugs on the other side, i'd suggest getting the most common types you can. Also count up how many ways you actually need, currently you have 10 and 14 way plugs but not all are used. You should be able to rationalise the car side of things to 8 speaker wires (4 pairs) and probably 5 power connections which will be permanent +ve, switched +ve, earth, lights and aerial (switched on by the head unit) so an 8 and a 6 way connector plug set would work. Often the generic connectors tend to be a bit larger per wire than the bespoke things so this would be a good way of minimising the space used by the connectors.

You're right about mine, the previous owner had indeed chopped the Volvo loom on mine and had used red crimp bullet connectors to fit a £19.99 from Maplin or Halfords Sendai CD/Radio head unit. Very pretty colourful display but useless sound output and quality. Very rapidly changed for a Rover branded Philips head unit and CD changer, Volvo used the same items at one point but obviously Volvo branded but now i have a JVC CD/radio head unit with BT streaming and handsfree phone system built in so i can stream music from my phone while using the sat-nag on the phone and if any calls come in, can answer them handsfree with the microphone tucked up at the top of the A pillar and the car speakers giving the callers audio.
It mutes the music for the sat-nag instructions and also if a call comes in and returns to normal level once the sat-nag/call has finished.

In between whiles i used my gas soldering iron to solder a pair of ISO connectors to the remains of the original loom, heatshrinking the joins in the wires. Something else the previous owner did was run two lengths of bell wire for the front speakers because the originals had come off in the door and dropped down and they're too thin and ultimately will break but for now they work so maybe next summer i'll sort those.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: