Thread: 1800: - 1972 pv1800es
View Single Post
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 17:13   #225
Snow White

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
After quite a long lay off, I'm recovered enough to continue with some of the little jobs that Delores needs to have fixed. 'Janet' bought her over today, and as always Delores is such a nice motor car to work on.

First the exhaust hanger, regular readers may remember one of the hangers was missing, so I had to fabricate a solid one back in the spring. The proper hanger, rubber bushes and bolt had showed up in the mail and were pretty easy to fit:

... everything is much quieter at the back of the car now.

Next that fuel pump mounting; you may recall I was not too happy with what was holding the electric fuel pump on, when I took it apart it turned out to be a length of old seat belt wrapped round the pump, and the whole thing secured with an exhaust clamp:

... my guess is it had been like that for some time, ho hum. Now it is secured with clamp from a 244 ignition coil and two rubber bobbins from (I think) a Mini:

... actually that is much less Heath Robinson than it sounds, and very like the original installation. Having disturbed the pump (for perhaps the first time in 20 years) one of the rubber hoses leaked petrol profusely. It was held on only by this chap:

... I have no idea whether that is an original part fitted by Mr Volvo or not, but it seemed far from sufficient to me. I replaced it with a small Jubilee clip and the problem evaporated (excuse the pun):

I was on a roll by this point, so I decided to swap the fuel sender gasket and the 6 screws that hold it on with the new ones that had arrived since June. I'd had to remove the originals with an impact driver when I fixed the sender in the spring, and had to make a gasket at the time. I was pleased to change everything for new parts just in case it ever has to come apart again.

Finally I returned the speedo drive back to its original state by re-fitting the right angle drive, this time with the 2" long piece of Bowden cable that had previously sheared, applying some grease and routing the cable correctly.

... the speedo is a bit smoother now, and should improve at the grease migrates along the cable.

Half hour jobs always take 2 hours on nearly 50 year old car - so that lot took me until 2:30 this afternoon. 'Janet' had taken Bob for his midday walk, so we had time for a quick test drive in Delores. I'm really pleased to say it is a lovely motor car to drive, and I'm pleased we are working our way through the list of little jobs.

A good day :-)

Alan
Really appreciated your work Alan, thank you
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post: