View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 15:53   #15
142 Guy
Master Member

I see 12v is exiting the AMP light by the yellow cable. I measured this by separating the multi connector a few inches away from the AMP light. However, only 1.5v is reaching the voltage regulator. - Are you doing this test with the ignition switch in the run position? If you are measuring 12v on the regulator end of the yellow wire with the yellow wire disconnected from both the alternator and regulator, this would be normal. If you are measuring 1.5v on the regulator end of the yellow wire with the yellow wire disconnected from both the alternator and regulator, this would be a sign of a problem with the yellow wire - likely a short to ground.

I performed one of Pigeon's tests, by disconnecting the green DF cable from the alternator and very briefly directly connecting 12v from the battery, but forgot to put indicator bulb in line &#129402 The voltage reading at the battery immediately went up from 12.5 to 14.7. Does this definitely show that the voltage regulator is not working? - It 'definitively' shows that the alternator appears to be working. By the process of elimination that leaves you with a defective voltage regulator or a problem with the wiring attached to the voltage regulator

HOWEVER, I now have no AMP light. The bulb is fine and I still get 12v exiting the light connector on the yellow cable when measured at the multi connector. HOWEVER, now I get a full 12v where the yellow cable joins the voltage regulator. so.. - If the yellow wire is still connected to the voltage regulator and the alternator, that is a problem. Check that you don't have a bad connection at the voltage regulator, particularly that failed earth connection you found. If all the electrical connections are fine then the voltage regulator is most likely dead.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: