View Single Post
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 16:27   #15
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Thanks for all the help so far!

Fabricating my own sill patches is a possibility and it may come to that. I am a complete amateur when it comes to bodywork but if the Brookhouse panels aren't an exact match anyway then I can't go far wrong. The difficult part is guessing what shape something should be where the metal is long gone such as on the ends of the sills. The links posted so far have helped hugely.

I'm considering building a sort of wooden dolly / former in the profile of the sill and using that to beat some sheet into the correct shape for patches. This would save me having to realign a whole new sill, which will be challenging enough but currently the passenger door is off making it even more awkward.

I have a bit of grot on the rear section of chassis rail next to the fuel tank that will need chopping out and replacing. Does anyone know what gauge metal is suitable for a safe repair here? It's hard to judge what with all the underseal in place.
Hi again,

To be clear I'd suggest buying the replacement sill sections from somewhere and cutting patches out of them - although they're not perfect they're certainly a good starting point and can be re-angled/persuaded into the correct shape. I too am fairly amateurish at this - I did a welding course then got stuck in with the 1978 that I posted the link to before. Nothing like practise to improve though, so after working on that car and my 1988 I'm certainly better than I was!

Also, although a wooden dolly might be useful, having a straight piece of bar in a vice you can hammer/bend the sill pieces over will be as useful - with the advantage that you can bend the metal 'past' the angle you want it to be so that when it springs back it's in the right place, which you couldn't do with a dolly/former.

I carried out the same repair on the 1988 I still own, some more photos in the link below that may be useful.

Thankfully the sill ends aren't too complicated, post some more photos if you get stuck.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=228229&page=7

I think the chassis rails at the point you describe are 2mm steel.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post: