Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 14:15   #2929
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Somebody picked a set up for £75 last week , bargain or what . Southampton was the problem, no post.
They’re a good, enhancing wheel though!😎
Parcelforce will pick up and even provide labels for pick-up if the seller wraps them - a couple of black bin-bags would do with a bit of cardboard to separate the two rims in each half of the consignment - it's cheaper to send two halves each of under 20kg than it is for one near 40kg consignment, no idea why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Gosh, that was cheap. I can see three sets for sale on eBay at the mo: very good with tyres for £750, very good without tyres for £600 and in need of refurbishment for £450.

They are nice wheels, and I might be tempted to keep them for future use (maybe a 740/940 project or another 240) one day. Maybe even have some spacers made and use them on GAM, we’ll see.

:-)
To be honest Alan, i can't see how any wheels, even new ones, command a price like that for a set. That said i've just bought an Audi spare wheel for a friend that was just over £100 with a half decent tyre on it (Firestone) with ~6mm of tread and the wheel only has minor kerb-rash.
Again, no idea why the Audi spare wheel was so expensive (no, it wasn't a space-saver aka pram-wheel), bought one for the Jag recently for under £50 with a good (~5.5mm Kumho) tyre on but poor paint/lacquer (even though it looked good in the listing) so why the Audi one should be a stupid price i've no idea.
Both alloys made originally by the same manufacturer (Ronal i think, logo is like a jwl in cursive but not quite) and both tyres are a similar amount of rubber (215/40/17 for the Audi, 225/55/16 for the Jag) so is it market forces at play or what?

I know the Virgo rims are getting rare and more desirable now but they won't fit many of the later 7xx models so are limited to all intents and purposes to the 200 and older cars which reduces the market place. Sorry but i just can't see the value in wheels at that sort of price.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: