Thread: V50 General : - What do I need to replicate a Focus ST?
View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 14:52   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJustVolvos View Post
New here and to Volvos, so apologies if I ask any stupid questions.

I'm considering purchasing a V50 T5 as I've driven a V50 1.8f and a MK2 Octavia VRS 2.0TFSI, so I'm looking to combine the best aspects of both into one car. I know the Volvo handles differently due to suspension and diff setup, but I'm more focused on the engine and sound of the T5 vs Focus ST.

I'm aware the Volvo has a different ECU (and exhaust I think?) set-up to make it drive and sound more 'sophisticated' compared to the boy-racer ST. What can be done to reverse this and add the burbly, aggressiveness of the ECU tune and sound the ST has? Is it just tuning or does the exhaust require any modification too? I'm not looking for 'pops and bangs', just the ST's OEM character.

And since I read these ECUs are difficult to tune (say compared to a VAG group car) would it be worth or even possible to install an aftermarket ECU?

Down the line I hope to also do a high power build, so that might be relevant to the consideration of an aftermarket ECU.

Thanks!

This is easy, pretty much the same car minus things like the ECU and handling mods. You want the sound, get a 3" + exhaust system. Want more pops and bangs, get a map done for it. You cannot achieve this on the standard T5 exhaust.

an initial remap is easy for this, or a custom for your stage one's so unless you are going big turbo or have incredibly deep pockets and willing to wait a while ... then I wouldnt bother.

So yes if you are after sound, just get a new exhaust (min 3") and an intake cone.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote