View Single Post
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 18:15   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
Happy New Year everyone.

I think I have found another reason for my heater feeling a little less hot (see recent post on temperature gauge. A slightly damp driver's carpet with a slick feel and sweet taste plus occasional topping up of coolant suggests my heater matrix is leaking.

There are some very useful and detailed guides in FAQ about how to go about replacing the heater core and it looks a horrendous job necessitating removal of half the dash. I'm debating if this is within my ability and paying for it to be done would probably cost more than the car is worth.

Has anyone replaced a heater matrix before as a first timer and is the job as horrendous as it looks or is it just a matter of methodically ploughing on and getting there in the end? Any tips would be appreciated.

Car is a '97, 945 LPT with aircon.

Thanks,
LeeP
Hi, Lee. I had this problem back in 2002 with my 745 and had the same reservations that you are now experiencing. From my records, I see that Volsaa in Derby charged me £115.78 to do the job. They obviously did it well as I had no further problem with the heater for as long as I owned the car - an additional 14 years - so I feel that it was worthwhile.

I don't know what it would cost today, but this might give you some idea if you were able to allow for 18 years inflation?

Regards, John.