View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:25   #1
suttsV70

Default ‘97 T5 - New owner, a few questions!

Hello all,

I recently acquired a 117,000 mile 1997 T5 auto. It’s my first Volvo, although I used to drive Phase 2 T5 manuals at work back in the mid 2000’s and remember them with a lot of affection.

It drives well, and I’m working my way through a few issues that I knew about when I bought it. The first was to replace the driver’s side window switch pack with a good second hand one, which gave me back the ability to operate the front passenger window!

I’m now looking at the reasons why the fuel filler flap and boot release is not working from inside the car. At present the fuel flap is insecure and the small triangular plastic part that should secure it to the body is broken off (I have a new one ready to fit in due course). It may be that it was broken off deliberately when the switch release mechanism failed in order to gain access? When I operate the fuel flap release and the boot release switch in the door panel there is no sound of any relays or solenoid operating at all and nothing happens with either mechanism.

Having done some searching on here, I was hoping the replacement window switch pack would have resolved the issue, but nothing doing. It sounds like it’s most likely to be the wiring - where is this most likely to be found in the boot? I haven’t tested anything electrical, and will most likely book in with a local auto electrician.

My other issue that need addressing sooner rather than later is to replace the PCV system. I have the classic smoking dipstick, and suspect it has never been done. The number of threads on here going back a long way are helpful but almost overwhelming in their number, so I guess what would be useful to know is where people are buying quality replacement PCV kits from these days please?

Thanks in advance, this forum looks like a goldmine of information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF4B15FB-2064-42CB-AE5C-800268CBB091.jpg (170.4 KB, 25 views)
suttsV70 is offline   Reply With Quote