View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 20:29   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJC View Post
Hi
Can anyone enlighten me on how to change a damaged steering rack gaiter on a 1997 S40 2 litre CD (drivers side). There is very little room between the gaiter and a heat shield and a whole host of other bits. The Haynes manual unhelpfully says release retaking clips and remove gaiter. The gaiter is the original and even if I could get to it the clip looks pretty trick and is marked “G35Q” - is a special tool required and is it reusable? I have attached a couple of pictures for information.
Having now done this job twice I can tell you that it requires some patience. I have also found that it helps if you heat the gater in hot water for a few min before attempting to install. I also found that having some picks on hand (particularly the 90deg one) helps lift the lip of the gater over the rack. You do need to take that shield off. I’ve had better success working from the top but I’ve also found it really helps to have a second person applying steady inward pressure from the wheel well area as you lose your mind carefully lifting the rubber on all the way around. I also seem to remember having some success rotating the gater while keeping the pick carefully inserted in a way that encouraged the rubber to latch on.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote