View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 14:29   #11
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
You could have simply fixed the allegedly failed EGR valve. Disabling the EGR flow in the manner described would not have improved the particulate emissions. NOx control and particulate control are separate issues with independent mitigations.

In fact I would suggest that the DPF is clearly not doing its job.

But you don't have a readout of the NOx emissions. Again you appear to be confusing NOx and particulate emissions.

It passed only because NOx emissions are not tested during the MoT. Nevertheless disabling vehicle emission control systems should result in a fail, as the vehicle is now illegal to use on UK roads. If the MoT tester had spotted that an emission system had been disabled (e.g. a visible blanking plate on the EGR valve) then a fail should have been given and the vehicle reported to VOSA. And again you have confused particulate emissions and NOx emissions...
Long and short, I understand particulate and nox are separate.
I also understand that egr tampering via blanking is a fail, hence electronic mapping.
If you had seen the condition of the inlet manifold, egr mixer, swirl flaps and inlet ports to the combustion chamber, you would've had some idea that "complete combustion" would never have been achieved. The airflow in the egr mixer was constricted to roughly 1.5 inches, not its full bore of 3". The swirl flaps which were to aid combustion, improve torque, were not performing properly, all at fault of egr. Hence my reason why I decided to kill the egr. I want to get another 170k out of this d5. Going through its breathing system and remedying it's issues would bring it back to near "clean air" which I doubt a lot of pro diesel egr folk do not understand.
I am certain that all the gunk and goo would be severely increasing emissions of nox due to incomplete combustion.

When was the last time you cleaned your intake out? If you've done it a few times, I think you'll change your thoughts on that little valve and cooler.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post: