View Single Post
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 15:23   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw244gl View Post
the mechanic does thing its the jet

"my judgment the base jet is worn ..making it impossible to control fuel delivery ..with the timing not correct and the Dwel angle changing all the time (base screw cross threaded in distributor) not holding the points correctly in position"

on the historic front, the dvla wont accept a email from the Volvo museum about age.
they advise the heritage place in uk, which doesn't do volvo stuff had to laugh.
they accept glasses guide, but not sure how that works.
so sort of stuck at the moment or just have to accept and wait til april next year.
i did try my luck and sent it all off but it didnt get done
One thing at a time: you will have to make sure the motor has a reliable spark and the correct timing before you can adjust the carburettor. By the base screw in the distributor do you mean the clamp that locks it in place? If so probably the best thing to do would be to remove the distributor, drill that shaft out 1mm, re-tap and fit a new bolt. Once that is done and you have adjusted the points gap and timing it would make sense to follow the carburettor set up schema.

Ah, so your V5 says the car was first registered in 1981 (I think I did ask that above). In that case I'd say there would be no point whatsoever trying to change it now - the 1981 cars will qualify for historic status in 10 months time and it will take the the behemoth that is the DVLA much longer than that to make a change. The motor car will be MoT exempt from its 40th anniversary (to the day), which already makes it more attractive, and the tax between now and April is only about £200.

Best wishes with the car - it would be nice to see a few photos when it is complete. Well done for doing the right thing by your uncle.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 18th, 2021 at 15:28. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: