Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:56   #978
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thanks Alan, hopefully the hardest part will be finding some suitable metal to let in to the footwell. Got some 2mm thick stuff i used on my Jeep chassis where the steering box mounted but i think that would be a bit too thick!

Also got part of an outer sill (it was used to make other patches at some point and only the unused bit remains) which is probably about the right thickness and if push comes to shove, i have a couple of wings although reluctant to use them as they're going for stupid money on fleabay at the moment!

I do agree about the nanny state, i just think there should be a mechanism (mandatory or voluntary) where a basic go/no-go quick check over to ensure things we can't always see without an MoT ramp are still structurally sound. Kind of a halfway-house between self-certification and a full mandatory MoT test.
B&Q sells 1mm thick MS sheet that is quite good for small repairs. It comes in small sheets about 2'x1' (no doubt some metric near equivalent) for about a fiver (from memory). I generally keep some for small repairs - it is thin enough to use my joddler tool and saves cutting up good panels. Buy the plain MS one, not the galvanised one for welding.

I disagree about the half-way MoT test, it would just become another job creation scheme. The nanny state already insists on lots of needless regulation covering almost every aspect of our lives. We see this everywhere: it is no longer possible to buy battery acid without a licence (what! I hear you say), I suspect the next thing will be banning our shotguns (what! I hear you say). My view is there are almost no incidents of poorly maintained historic vehicles causing accidents (I don't think I've ever heard of one) so regulation isn't necessary.

I don't really care if people want to have their historic cars checked voluntarily - I have no view on what other folk should waste their time or money on (as long as they don't expect me to waste my time or money similarly).

Alan :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 21st, 2021 at 21:58.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: