View Single Post
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 18:16   #5
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmschall View Post
Hello,

We own a 2016 XC90. Last spring we started noticing that the low oil light was coming on. Slowly over time, the light would come on more frequently. At one point the gasket was replaced, but the problem continued. Recently the car went through some diagnostic testing, and it turns out the issue is related to a piston that needs to be replaced. We were told by the local dealer that the entire engine needs to be replaced for £11000 or $13000. I called Volvo and they did give us a 30% compensation for the work to be done, but this still seems like a ton of money, given that the car is only 5.5 years old. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thanks.
I wouldn't think that a low oil pressure issue would be related to a problem with an engine piston. Low oil pressure could lead to problems with the pistons and bores though ( scraping, scoring etc). Also crank and crank bearings damage.

You wrote some diagnostics had been run; Have they actually checked the actual oil pressure with a manual gauge ?

If not, my first port of call would be to try a new oil pressure sender.
GrahamHR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post: