Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 12:06   #2938
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I wouldn't touch Chinese tyres with someone else's barge pole.

My mk2 golf came with hifly tyres and that would squeal its head off at 15mph going around a roundabout and was just scary in the wet! I fitted some Bridgestones and my love affair with Bridgestone tyres began from there.

I had jinyu on the 940 when I bought that and they were also terrifying with the lack of grip and the road holding in the wet was just dangerous so I got Bridgestones fitted less than a week after buying it.

A 940 drift car I bought to break had middle of the road tyres on the front and Chinese tyres on the back... That says it all really.

I also had Westlake on my fabia VRS when I bought it and they would aquaplane so easily and had rubbish grip again Bridgestones fitted and it was transformed.

It amazes me how many bloated expensive VAG cars have Chinese tyres on them... Probably because people pay a lot of money to impress people they don't know and can't afford the maintenance or the cost of an 18" tyre in a decent brand.
Thank you Luke. It is always a good idea to compare experiences - particularly first hand ones.

My first experiences of budget tyres has been with my two old Volvos - I've nearly always had new or nearly new motor cars in the past and generally bought OEM tyres in at least pairs at a time. I still do that with the Porsche and the Skoda.

I'm quite pleased to report that the 195/65R15 Chinese Rovelo tyres on the RB exceeded my expectations, I think when I bought the motor car it had a mixture of brands (some known brands, some not); the RB's steering and road-holding are good now. I remain convinced that it is by far most important to have full sets of the same tyres so all the corners all grip the same.

I'm also happy with the 175/60R15 Chinese Hifly tyres I fitted myself to GAM's silver wheels. I bought them mainly because they were very cheap indeed (£130/set delivered if I remember correctly) and I was experimenting with the 175 section tyres on 4" rims. Again I'm happy to report that they work pretty well and generally the grip exceeds the Amazon's ability to accelerate forwards, backwards or sideways. They are quieter and the steering is a bit lighter than the 165/80 section tyres I have on the red wheels - but that may be due to me pumping them up to 32/30 PSI.

So, whilst I wouldn't fit non-OEM tyres to the Porsche, Skoda or either of my motorbikes, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Chinese tyres on my two old Volvos - so we will have to agree to disagree, but this has been a really useful discussion.

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 12:25. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: