View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 15:59   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
That's why I've stopped driving my car and started drinking petrol
You may be onto something there, 'griston64'.

I too enjoy the occasional pint / glass of wine. The difference is, that that is a discretionary purchase. Unlike fuel, I don't have to buy it, I may choose to buy it as a treat. Like Steve and his sausage roll, I could equally well choose not to.

For most, on the other hand, fuel (in some form or other) is essential if we wish to continue using motorised personal transport. The amount will vary according to mileage, but we all need to buy fuel to a greater or lesser extent.

And beer at £32 per gallon is, relatively, not that expensive. Meeting up with some friends recently on a hot day, I decided to have a cold drink instead of coffee. I ordered a ginger beer, which came in a 275 ml bottle (marginally less than half a pint) which cost £3.25. But, even at >£50 / gallon, I don't begrudge it; my choice - and they did provide a glass and brought it to my table in a pleasant environment for me to drink it.

I've never understood why soft drinks are so expensive, making your pint look cheap and petrol a positive bargain!

Regards, John.