View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 22:02   #30
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappers View Post
Thanks for the info on the tyres Roy. Some bedtime reading for me ��

I've not noticed any delay in the power delivery, no. Obviously there's the kick down delay when really putting your foot down. Seems as quick as you would expect for a big diesel car.

MPG is still going well. After three days back and to to work in rush hour traffic it's still at 39 mpg. I would imagine it'll drop a little further but extremely pleased considering the size of the car.
Yes it responds better to a controlled smooth quick pressure on the accelerator rather than just pushing the accelerator straight onto the floor. Volvo say they never want the car to get into a situation where it loses traction as that can make the car difficult to control. The D5 engine develops massive torque even at very low revs.

The auto gearbox also responds better if you don't jab the leaver straight through the gears when stationary like my daughter used to. Just a fraction of a second in each position so it has time to work out where it is. She never learnt drive having to double declutch though.

The gearbox manual change is not strictly speaking manual as all it does is allow you to override the computer and instruct the computer to change now. It won't allow you to do anything that would damage the engine or gearbox anyway whatever you do. The manual shift is useful if you want to raise the revs to improve gearbox cooling when towing up steep gradients or a higher bottom gear to reduce torque for pulling away in the snow.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Nov 25th, 2015 at 22:07.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote