View Single Post
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 20:21   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Thank you 'Volvoid' and 'Paffel' for your interest and advice. You are correct that any car, no matter how good, will deteriorate through standing unused. It is unfortunate that this one has stood so for 7 years, but that was due to illness and cannot be undone. The car has recently been fitted with a new battery and it both started easily and ran well. Hence my belief that a thorough service, together with an MOT of course, may be all that is required to put it back on the road. It has always been garaged and I would not expect it to be rotten underneath, but anyone interested should naturally satisfy themselves as to the condition of the car.

I am just acting as a facilitator in this matter and have no financial interest in the car. I simply don't want to see this car scrapped if it can be avoided and had also hoped that it might make a little more for the family than the £140 offered by the breaker. To be honest, I simply have no idea of how to price this car. That is why we invited offers! I would have thought it would be worth more than that, even if only as a source of spares for someone, but perhaps not.

I was waiting to hear from the family about the sale of the house before I posted anything further. However, the 'bottom line' is this: the car will be sold to the breaker unless a higher offer is received from elsewhere. It will then presumably be crushed, as sadly I doubt it would be worth his while to break it for parts. It will go to the breaker complete as the family have neither the time nor the inclination to remove any parts to sell separately - even if we knew which parts - as you suggested. But thanks for the advice - it is appreciated!

Last edited by john.wigley; Feb 21st, 2014 at 20:28.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote