View Single Post
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 11:43   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHunt View Post
My 142 Rally car has been running well for a time now and I'm generally very pleased with how it goes.
However something occurred the other day which I thought had been solved. The car has twin HS6 SU carbs and Facet electric fuel pumps. I stopped on a hill to allow traffic coming the other way and the car would not pull away. The revs just died as soon as the clutch was released. Eventually I was able to stagger away and the car picked up once on the move.
This seems odd since it cannot be the first time I've stopped on a hill! It certainly has always climbed hills perfectly happily before although I did have a similar thing happen some while ago but I have stripped the carbs and replaced the floats, needle jet etc. since them.
I suspect something is sticking and causing fuel starvation, maybe being on a hill is part of the problem. Any ideas?
Facet Fuel pumps are NOT reliable they have a rated life of just 3000 hours which is ( 3 1/2 years for me, not good enough.) and on the data sheet it says under no circumstances to be used for aircraft engines. I have had 3 pack up on me, all failed on the motorway, 2 of the cube types and one cylindrical pump. The cylindrical one caught fire and burned through the casing ! However it hard to find any other electric fuel pump which can flow a decent supply for a large engine. So I have fitted 2 in parallel with a selector switch on the dash for WHEN one of them fails next.

I have just looked everywhere for the data sheet which stated the rated life which used to be published freely by the sellers ( Merlin motorsport) but can find no trace of it now, I can see why !