View Single Post
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 15:52   #6
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Two pumps

Quote:
My main concern is I cannot hear the fuel pump prime when I turn on the ignition. From a post on the FB group I have been advised to check power to the pump with the multi meter, then check the fuses and power to the fuse box and then the relay. I can feel the relay clicking so I don't think its this but will check again to be sure.
If you turn on the ignition, the fuel pumps will only run for a short period to prime the system. Only once the engine picks up the pumps will run continuously. I am not even sure that the pumps will prime again if you switch the ignition off and on again. In a 940 they do not and resetting takes some time.
By the way, you have two fuel pumps: one in tank pump fed via fuse 11 and the one you have replaced, underneath the car. This is not fed via 11, but directly from the fuel pump relay.
The fuel pump relay is actually a dual relay and a fuel injection relay unit would be a better name for it. One of its relays is fed via the ignition key and switches the ignition on and off. The other is controlled from the ECU and switches both fuel pumps on and off. Clicking is therefore no indication that the fuel pump relay is working properly!

Useful link:
http://www.stepbystepvolvo.com/Resou...20No-Start.pdf
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: