View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 00:16   #11
Gmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
Bad

Based on an XC90 (which I know the post isn't about), they have a roughly 15kWh (usable - 19kWh ish nominal) battery.

They will apparently do 40 miles on that on a good day.

So around £10 gets you 40 miles using a public charger at 70p per kWh. (I'm being favourable in my rounding and also in charge costs - public chargers in the UK are around 79p at the moment, with some a good bit more. Also assuming we'd be happy spending 5hrs at Grantham services ).

At 30mpg (no idea if that's realistic - our D5 gets that easily), that same 40 miles will cost you about £9.

Public charge companies are screwing the pooch in terms of the economics of electric....especially when you consider that at the very worst a home tariff will cost you 30p per kWh, and at that the electricity companies are still making a profit.

So the rule is, with any form of electric powered vehicle (PHEV or BEV), avoid charging up at public networks.

Charging that same PHEV overnight at home will cost you just over £1. So do that, and only use electric power (most of us do an average of 30 miles per day or so) and all of a sudden you're on a winner

When looking at our next family wagon we ran through the sort of mileage and trips we do throughout a typical year...the economics of a PHEV and BEV were very similar (ICE was a good chunk behind, including purchase price). A higher percentage of short journeys that don't require public charging and the BEV starts to win.

That assumes fuel and public charging (plus home tariffs) remain the same relative to each other over the next 6yrs or so. Which is a bit of a gamble....but ultimately my OH preferred the familiarity and quality of the XC90 over an EV9. But it was close
Some charging points cost around 40p/KWh which is definitely cheaper than petrol.
Gmore is offline   Reply With Quote