View Single Post
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 15:52   #48
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Update in case anyone has similar problems in future.

Purchased an O/S driveshaft as that one had had more play in it than the N/S. Fitted it, took it for a test drive and the mechanic said sadly there was no real noticeable difference in the vibration but there was considerable play in the old one, so worth doing anyway I guess.

I bit the bullet and ordered a N/S driveshaft. He fitted that today and went out, apparently it felt like a completely different car, however could only get it up to ~60mph due to traffic (5pm rush hour).

He's holding onto the car again and will confirm tomorrow when he can get up to speed if it's fixed. Saying the front end felt so much better has got my hopes up though, so fingers crossed it's fixed.
Further update to this, garage called this morning saying the vibration was gone, so I happily went to pick the car up and from 50mph+ on the way home the steering wheel started shimmying side to side again, vibration STILL there

Took car back to them and he drove it while I was passenger, we could feel it through the floorpan at ~70mph. He put the wheels back on the machine and showed me, they're all perfectly round and weighted.

So, what next? I'm another £680 down and right on the cusp of throwing in the towel on this Ford POS, unless anyone has any other ideas?

We've ruled out wheels, ruled out tyres, ruled out driveshafts, engine mounts have been replaced as has the underside gearbox mount.