View Single Post
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 07:19   #3
nrobinson

Thanks Tannaton,

Yes already been plenty of use of a mallet. Not ruling out heat shields etc, but the sound in one of more of a solid clatter rather than the rattle you might get with a heat shield if you get my meaning. Theres a particular bit of an uneven road near me that i can trigger the clatter, and i've even gone to the lengths of having the missus stood on the pavement as i drive past many times - neighbours must wonder what the hell is going on :-). The feeling is it is more outboard - ie directly behind the wheels... hence looking at shocks, struts and not ruling out other components - eg drop links.

I've yet to have a closer inspection of the shocks but was aware of the rubber gatter on the Nivomats. Pretty sure mine have been replaced... and as said i think they are probably Monroe (with a plastic dust shield).

Before i start to replace parts however i just want to understand whether when the shocks were replaced the springs were also. I dont think the springs will still have any legible markings and additionally I've had rust proofer lagged everywhere. Wondered if there was any easy way to visually identify a lightweight original Nivomat spring from and aftermarket retrofit.
nrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote